About Lee Montessori Public Charter Schools
Lee Montessori Public Charter Schools serve over 350 Washington, D.C. students in primary, lower, and upper elementary Montessori classrooms across its two campuses, Brookland Campus (PK3-6th grade) located in Northeast Washington D.C., and our East End Campus (PK3-K) located in Southeast Washington, D.C. Our mission is to create a more just, liberated world. Lee Montessori PCS creates a peaceful, multi-age learning environment for public preschool and elementary-aged children that fosters the physical, social, emotional, and academic growth and development of students and produces life-long learners. The school’s social and academic culture follows the rigorous standards for excellence set forth by the Association Montessori Internationale (AMI).
Elementary Classroom Guide Position Description
With guidance and support from the Head of School and the Elementary Coach, the Upper Elementary Guide will lead an Upper Elementary Montessori classroom of approximately 25 children, ages 9-12. This position will be based at our Brookland Campus in Northeast DC. The Upper Elementary Guide will be responsible for presenting the Elementary curriculum to students, participating in parent education and conferences and other family engagement, record and data management, and student assessment, progress monitoring, and intervention.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
Curriculum, Materials, and Classroom Management
- Preparing the Montessori classroom environment to meet the students’ needs and interests.
- Presenting consistent individual and group lessons to students and supporting each child’s direction and success.
- Meeting 1:1 regularly with students to work with them in assessing their own success and facilitating an individual path of progress.
- Working with students of varying abilities assigned to the classroom, including those with learning exceptionalities; participating in Child Study and Special Education meetings; and enacting classroom-based interventions to support children who need additional support
- Managing a classroom team of 1-2 adults, including meeting regularly with the classroom team, and training them as necessary to best support the children in the community.
Family Engagement, Meetings, and Conferences
- Assisting in the development of and participating in school functions, including but not limited to open houses, orientation meetings, family education events, and school-wide activities.
- Preparing documents and reports necessary to facilitate parent-teacher conferences or other meetings requested by parents or school administration.
- Providing timely and meaningful communication with parents/guardians about the life of the classroom community as well as the progress/needs of their individual children.
Record & Data Assessment and Management
- Maintaining student records, reports, evaluations, inventories, and tests.
- Completing all progress monitoring and benchmark assessments on time as scheduled.
- Participating in all assessment-related training.
- Preparing student progress reports and assessment reports as required or requested.
- Coordinating with related service providers to ensure appropriate, personalized, and consistent services are delivered both in and out of the classroom
- Collecting student data regularly in the classroom and disseminate it to the Student Support team as needed.
- Must possess an AMI (American Montessori Institute) elementary diploma in addition to, at a minimum, a Bachelor’s degree.
- Have a firm commitment to upholding the school’s mission and anti-bias/anti-racist pedagogy.
- Demonstrate a willingness and ability to integrate data and assessment with the traditional Montessori curriculum in order to close the opportunity gap for our students.
- At least three (3) years of classroom experience, in public or urban setting preferred
- Possess a growth mindset, and a willingness to receive and implement regular feedback and actively participate in coaching.
Compensation and Benefits
Lee Montessori PCS offers a comprehensive compensation and benefits package. Salary offer is commensurate with experience.
How to apply
Applications are accepted and roles are filled on a rolling basis and applicants should apply at leemontessori.bamboohr.com/jobs. For more information about our school, please visit www.LeeMontessori.org.